Thursday, June 30, 2011

White Balance - VERY IMPORTANT!

My husband was in another play this past month, so when time came for the photo call, I was SO there!! 

The show was The Boys Next Door and it was so enjoyable.  Here are a couple of shots from that evening:




What does that have to do with White Balance you ask??  Nothing yet!  But here's where it happened.  I noticed that the photos of people who were in a spot light were very washed out...  Here's one of my husband.



You see that it seems somewhat over exposed right on him.  So, I flipped over to manual so I could adjust the white balance, changed it to florescent lighting and snapped another shot. 

Here's the difference (although I like the composition of the above shot better, I think): 



Much Better!!!!  So I patted myself on the back for being so clever!  :) 


However - there's more to the story....


The next morning I went out very early (sunrise!) to try my hand at taking some Senior Pictures of my son.  What I didn't realize until I happened to glance at the LCD screen was that the White Balance was still set for florescent lighting.  OOPS!

Here's how I knew something was hinky....

Blue-Faced Child....

The white of his sleeves (and his face) have a bluish hue...

Once I fixed the white balance problem (this is un-edited!)


So, um, ya.... if you decide to be clever and change the white balance setting on your camera, don't forget to change it back!! 


Much Love to ya on this beautiful Thursday!!

Tiffany

No comments: